Are you looking to simplify the process of painting? Get an airless spray gun and reap the benefits of this innovative painting technique. An airless paint sprayer gun is a kind of paint sprayer that does not utilize a turbine or compressor to pump out the paint. Rather, it uses high-pressure gas, pneumatics, or electricity to propel paint uniformly onto the surface of your project.
An airless paint spray gun pumps out paint at around 3000 psi through a specialized hose into a small hole in the nozzle of the sprayer. Generally, an airless spray gun produces an even and smooth finish. Moreover, the paint can withstand wear and tear, and prevent your project from being affected by harmful corrosion. These factors have helped this latest invention to gain popularity and widespread usage.
Even though you can find specialized car spray painting kits, you might be thinking “are airless spray guns good for automotive painting”? Given that an airless spray gun offers an even coat, it is a valid question. This article addresses the topic and will offer insightful details to ensure that your vehicle gets a smooth finish.
Can you paint a car with an airless sprayer?
The quick answer to that question is yes! An airless spray gun can be utilized to conduct an automotive paint job and is suitable for other large surfaces. These sprayers are generally used to complete a big painting job quickly. The sprayer is designed to paint fences, walls and other structures in a short time.
Now that we have established that a car can be painted using an airless spray gun, let’s address are airless spray guns good for automotive painting?
This is the tricky part.
An airless spray gun is NOT the best tool for the job. These sprayers have been used since 1940s and have seen a lot of improvement. However, they still lack elements that are valuable for automotive painting. People have individual preferences which will determine whether or not an airless spray gun is a good choice. Some car enthusiasts or race car drivers might want a rugged look. For people who wish to have an even, smooth, and glossy look, it is best to use a traditional car painting kit or a sprayer with compressor.
Even though you can paint a vehicle or any other metal body using an airless spray gun, but the end results might have an orange peel effect. The issue ensues due to a lack of paint levelling. Consequently, it leads to a deformed surface and in an increased thickness of the final coat.
Some of these problems can be addressed by preparing the surface by removing dust or sanding it and thinning the paint before spraying. Moreover, you must apply even strokes from top to car down. Another tip is pump numerous thin coats instead of one thick coat. It will help you avoid unnecessary drips or runs in the paint job.
For effective results, you can spray two light coats of paint on both sides of the car. Make sure the strokes are even. Allow both paint coats to dry before you move onto the next step. After the two coats have dried completely, utilize a cloth roller or a foam brush to apply a heavy coat. It will even out any kinks and finish off with a smooth surface. If you still find unsightly imperfections or overspray from rough application, then spray another light coat and follow it with a heavy one.
Benefits of using an airless paint sprayer for your car
Given that majority of car owners prefer paint sprayers with air compressors, it is natural to question are airless spray guns good for automotive painting? Let’s look at some of the advantages of using airless spray guns for automotive painting:
- Compact and Lightweight – Airless paint spray gun comes in a lightweight design, which makes them more portable compared with traditional sprayers. These machines are ideal if you intend to carry them to different jobsites and use for a variety of projects. Moreover, they can paint a large surface area fairly quickly.
- Pressure – When using an airless spray gun for automotive painting, you will get a consistent stream of high pressure paint through the nozzle. It is crucial to be cautious when using airless paint sprayers because the psi can stretch to hazardous levels.
- Paint finish -An airless paint spraying gun offers a glass-smooth layer of coating over diverse surfaces that is nearly impossible to attain using a roller or brush.
Crucial Safety Measures
When using an airless spray gun for an automotive painting project, there are certain safety measures that you must keep in mind. These considerations include:
- Given that spray painting is messy, you can avoid causing any damage to your surroundings by investing in quality equipment and prepping the job site.
- Before you start painting your car using an airless spray gun, it is imperative to wear a protective gear. Put on your mask, respirator, eye protection, gloves and safety glasses.
- Ensure that you use an airless system so that there are no detrimental fumes floating in the air for you or anybody else to breathe in.
- Sand the vehicle’s surface thoroughly and clean it out to avoid damaging your car’s paintwork.
To wrap it up!
An airless paint sprayer is a machine that utilizes a high-pressure pump to atomize paint into a fine mist. These innovative sprayers are becoming prevalent because they offer even coverage and are used for a variety of surfaces including a car. An airless spray gun is relatively easy to control and necessitates little cleanup. So are airless spray gun good for automotive painting?
Compared to traditional methods, car enthusiasts do not prefer an airless spray gun for automotive painting. This technique leaves deformed paint areas on a car’s surface, taking away the smooth finish. In short, airless spray gun is good yet not good for painting a car. It depends on your expectations and the look your desire.